21 May 2008

Way Off-topic: TV Tropes and Appleseed

Yesterday I found out I spent four hours reading TV Tropes, the wiki with explanations of every stock device, character archetype, and genre/subgenre/subsubgenre composition. It's worse than Wikipedia. But, for my purposes, it helps me use a bunch of obscure references to things which some people consider Serious Business, which will make my blog seem like Serious Business. I don't remember what article it was under, but there was this thing about tarot cards being used for random story telling. My not-so-useful advice for the day: just follow the links around TV Tropes, write the article names on slips of paper, stick them in a hat, and pull plots out of your ass. Of course, read my blog to see me polish off the ideas this generates. You'll have a plausible excuse for Ninja Pirate Zombie Robots in no time.

On a completely unrelated note, I also saw Appleseed for the first time today. It was neat. You're expected to just accept what the state of the world is (much like Deunan), ask few questions, and buckle up. It's got an R rating for violence, but it's almost a Disney film when compared to something like The Animatrix (and, a spoiler!? is: Deunan's mother dies, just like in a Disney film!) Perhaps that's because Appleseed is less of a mind rape than Animatrix (there's actually nothing freakishly disturbing at all, just gorey), and it's "symbology" seems superficial at best. Still, if you haven't seen it, give it a whirl. The plot is fun, at least once.

I've got more than a couple CCD/DDP drafts (by which I mean exactly three) half-finished and just waiting for me to sit down and seriously complete. One of them should be ready by Saturday at 11:59 PM.

No comments: